About Us

South Denver Masonic Lodge

South Denver Lodge #93

350 South Broadway, Denver, Colorado 80209  (map)

Meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays, September through May.

  • Dinner 6:30
  • Lodge 7:15

Please see our Calendar page for current events and dates.

Lodge Phone: 303-777-9809
Secretary Phone: 303-733-4042
Email: secretary@southdenver93.org

Our History

South Denver Lodge No. 93 Had its beginning around the prescription counter of the drug store of Azel S. Bush at434 Broadway. Accordingly, early in L893, an application was made by 18 Masons to Most Worshipful Grand Master William D. Wright, for a dispensation which was granted on February 9,1893 and South Denver Lodge U.D. was instituted on February 13,1893 with I. S. Elrod as Worshipful Master. The first regular communication was held in Tuck’s Hall, South Denver.

The first candidate to be initiated was E. Munson on March 13,1893. There were 34 meetings held under dispensation from February 13, 1893 to August 31,1893.

The Lodge had the misfortune to have its dispensation stolen from the pocket of the Master who carried it with him all the time. During the month o{ August, the Most Worshipful Grand Master William D. Wright presided at their meetings.

The Charter, signed by 39 members, was granted September20, l893 and South Denver Lodge No. 93 was instituted September 26,1893 by Most Worshipful Grand Master, William D. Piece with Isum S. Elrod as Worshipful Master.

The first regular communication was held October 3,1893 and the first man
raided was James W. Crawford on October 17,1893. From 1893 to 1895 economic conditions became so serious that consideration was given to surrendering the charter of the Lodge, but such action was over-ruled by the Worshipful Master, David Cinnamond. By 1896 prosperity began to return and the Lodge showed new life.

On February 4, 1895, it was voted to have an entertainment on Washington’s Birthday. This was followed by frequent social evenings.

On February 21,1899, a piano was acquired and early in 1900, the purchase of a “Plug Hat” was authorized at a cost of $4.00. Both have had long service!

In 1906, a site, known as 350 South Broadway, the present location, was purchased for $2100 for a new Masonic Temple. On March 17,1907, the corner-stone for the new Temple was laid b Most Worshipful Past Grand Master James R. Killian. The building was completed in December 1907 and dedicated Febru ary 1,4,1907 by Most Worshipful Grand Master Joseph A. Davis. The total cost of the Temple, including the land, but without furnishings/ was $18, 033.05.

The record of the Grand Lodge as of November 30,1960 shows a membership of 1297.